Despite the highly integrated nature of travel in the capital, over the years, London TravelWatch has had extensive feedback from passengers about how travel in and around London is not as seamless as it should be. As a result of this we published Interchange Matters which highlights the importance of good interchanges and demonstrates how much the industry could do to improve the passenger experience.
As well as publishing our report and promoting its findings to transport operators and providers we have an interchange matters blog and hope people will use this and our online questionnaire to help us evaluate the interchanges (you can also download a PDF version of the survey).
We have also held several interchange matters seminars which provide an opportunity to discuss best practice at interchanges with key stakeholders. You can find out more using the links below:
- Our first seminar on 2 June 2016 followed the publication of our report, 'Interchange Matters' and discussed interchanges in general
- We followed this up with a seminar focusing on accessibility at interchanges on 1 December 2016
- The Interchange Matters seminar held on 21 June 2017 looked at three strategic interchanges: Brixton, Lewisham and West Hampstead
- On 25 January 2018 our Interchange Matters seminar was targeted at interchanges at London's airports.
- Our next Interchange Matters seminar held on 21 June 2018 focused on improving interchanges at London's major stations.
- In our latest Interchange Matters seminar held on 19 February 2019 we returned to looking at interchanges at London's airports following us publishing our report Way to Go: improving passenger transport access to London's airports
We have also walked the route of several 'walkable interchanges', ie locations where two intersecting rail routes with stations only a few minutes apart can provide additional route choices for passengers.
Other useful documents include our research on Improving public transport access to London’s airports and the AECOM research which underpins the Interchange Matters report.
So please read our report, tell us about the strengths and weaknesses of the interchanges you use and what might be improved. We will take up issues where we are able to but we also want you to talk to your station manager. You can email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or you can tweet your photos to us at @lontravelwatch
Interchange Matters Blogs
|Victoria||3 and a half star interchange||Euston||3 star interchange|
|Lewisham (follow up visit)||3 star interchange||Finsbury Park||2 star interchange|
|West Ham||4 star interchange||Wimbledon||3 star interchange|
|Luton Airport||4 star interchange||London City Airport||4 star interchange|
|Stansted Airport||4 star interchange||Gatwick Airport||4 star interchange|
|Heathrow Airport||4 star interchange||West Hampsted||2 star interchange|
|Walthamstow||4 star interchange||Lewisham||3 star interchange|
|Elephant and Castle||3 star interchange||Hackney Central/Hackney Downs||2 and a half star interchange|
|Green Park||4 star interchange||Barking||3 star interchange|
|Tulse Hill||2 star interchange||Harrow-on-the-Hill||4 star interchange|