10 key asks for prospective General Election candidates in the London TravelWatch area19 November 2019
As the General Election campaign gets under way, London TravelWatch has 10 key asks for Prospective Parliamentary Candidates:
- Transport for London have shown the benefits of a concession model for local rail services (London Overground) in and around London, with improved performance and services. Will you support the devolution of the management of London’s metro rail services to the Greater London Authority?
- With London’s population growing rapidly, it is essential that we build in extra rail capacity for the future. Will you support the funding and provision of statutory powers necessary for Crossrail 2?
- Step-free access is a really important facility for disabled passengers or those travelling with heavy shopping or luggage, and is something we have championed over the years. Will you support the Government’s step-free access, Access For All funding programme?
- Currently Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) from London is retained by central government and used to fund roads outside the capital. Will you support the allocation of Vehicle Excise Duty to the Mayor so that it can be used in any future road user charging schemes?
- Will you reverse the regulations on the use of camera enforcement to allow, once again, enforcement of parking violations by local highway authorities?
- Over the past few years, there has been a sharp decline in bus speeds in London making buses a less attractive form of public transport. Bus patronage has fallen. Will you champion your local bus services?
- Will you support additional roads policing and an 'everyone should obey the rules' culture?
- Will you support the staffing of all stations from first to last train?
- Over the past few years we have highlighted some very large fares discrepancies affecting people travelling in and around London. Will you support the further simplification of fares?
- Will you support the continuance of a specialist railway police force – The British Transport Police?
- London TravelWatch is the official watchdog representing the interests of transport users in and around London, and independent of the transport operators and government. London TravelWatch is sponsored and funded by the London Assembly, part of the Greater London Authority.
- Follow London TravelWatch on Twitter and YouTube.
- For more information, please contact the London TravelWatch press office on 020 3176 5941 or 07734 055494.