We’re looking for an experienced communications expert to lead our engagement with the media and make our social media presence work harder, in order to support our campaigns.
We’re looking for a highly collaborative person who is capable of mentoring people across the organisation to make our communications have even more impact. You’ll be well organised, have great news sense, a good understanding of the news landscape in London and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. You’ll report directly to our CEO and be a member of our management team. This is permanent post.
Job purpose & responsibilities:
This exciting opportunity will give the post-holder the opportunity to ensure that London TravelWatch’s communications support their campaigns to improve the experience of people travelling in and around London.
They will lead on press work, building and maintaining contacts in the media and effectively pitching stories and will oversee the development of website and social media content.
The post-holder will work collaboratively with the Head of Campaigns & Advocacy to ensure that the organisation’s external communications support the advocacy work and maximise our influence.
They will create and edit content and copy including shaping key proactive messages; reactive statements; press releases; blogs; social media updates and spokesperson briefings.
- Political Judgement: understanding the politics at work across London’s transport and government organisations, and associated stakeholder bodies; ability to judge when comment is necessary to enhance or protect the organisation’s reputation and brand.
- Influence: putting the case persuasively, particularly in public debate; ability to build alliance and consensus in groups with a diverse agenda; ability to represent the London TravelWatch agenda convincingly
- Communication skills: excellent written and verbal communication skills, proven writing experience for a range of formats; experience of understanding complex policy / technical content and translating that into compelling, digestible content.
- Teamwork – a team player – able to work with colleagues at all levels, demonstrating an ability to multitask and work to different deadlines
About London TravelWatch
London TravelWatch is committed to being an equitable, diverse and inclusive organisation and we are working towards becoming an anti-racist organisation. We welcome applications from everyone but are especially keen to encourage applications from people currently under-represented at London TravelWatch.
We guarantee an interview for candidates who meet the essential criteria and who identify as disabled.
Non graduates are welcome to apply.
Good to know
We are currently all together in the office 1-2 days per week, but the office is open 5 days a week for people who want or need to go in more regularly. Some work for this role will need to be done face to face but there will be a great deal of flexibility.
The role is advertised as full time at £51,428 per annum (rising in annual increments to 58,596). However, we are happy to consider applications from people who would like to work 4 days a week (or the equivalent number of hours), and we are flexible about which weekdays the hours are worked on.
We have a generous civil service pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, an employee assistance programme and 28 days holiday a year, rising to 30 days after 2 years.
To work at London TravelWatch you will need to:
- Be fluent in written and spoken English
- Live and have the right to work in the UK
For a copy of the full recruitment pack please contact our recruitment partner Ellwood Atfield email@example.com . Application is by CV and covering letter by 22nd July to Ellwood Atfield.