London TravelWatch publishes 2017 Annual Review27 July 2017
London TravelWatch has published its Annual Review for 2017. The publication highlights the independent passenger watchdog’s achievements over the last financial year.
Over the last year, London TravelWatch has represented the interests of passengers in and around London who make around 5m journeys a day by tube, 3m journeys by National Rail and 5.5m journeys by bus. From a total of almost 11,000 written and telephone enquiries and complaints, we investigated over 2,400 appeals from members of the public travelling in London and the surrounding areas. Of the casework which required further investigation, 38% was from people unhappy with the way the operator had managed their complaint and around 33% concerned fares (including requests for refunds and penalty fares).
Over the past year we have achieved significant positive outcomes for London's travelling public, across a wide rage of transport modes:
- One major achievement has been the introduction of 15 minute Delay Repay compensation - a need we were the first to raise given the limited relevance of the previous 30 minute threshold to most train journeys in London
- We were pleased to have been asked by the Mayor to conduct a thorough, independent review of London Underground's closure of most ticket offices, concluding that the changes could in principle provide passenger benefits, but that they had been introduced prematurely and required a range of improvements before they could be seen as benefiting passengers.
- We have pressed home the interests of bus users, by seeking to give them a voice in local bus operations, and by highlighting the need for substantial improvements in bus priority measures, to counteract the ever slowing speeds resulting from road congestion.
- We continued to promote the need for better public transport links to London's airports.
- London TravelWatch is the operating name for the London Transport Users Committee. We are the official watchdog representing the interests of transport users in and around London, and independent of the transport operators and government. London TravelWatch is sponsored and funded by the London Assembly, part of the Greater London Authority.
- For more information, please contact the London TravelWatch press office on 020 3176 5941 or 07734 055494.